Sunday, May 20, 2007

Relaxing day today

Today was a really nice day as we toured the beautiful Yuntai Garden in Guangzhou. It was the first time I remember going anywhere on this trip and not feeling like I was in the middle of Disney World with the elbow to elbow people everywhere you looked. The garden was full of flowers, trees, bushes and sculptures. Tonya told me to take lots of pictures, but I'm not sure she meant to take over 150 like I did. It was a very relaxing day. Natalee continues to blossom for us. Everyday she seems to come more and more alive as she gets more used to us. We can't wait to get home and see everyone again, especially Maks. Here are some of the pictures I took at the garden today. Natalee is looking up Tonya's nose, I'd probaby be giggling too.

It was a struggle to get Natalee to put her hat on, but we finally convinced her it looked good so she decided to give it a try. Pretty in pink.

We had goose for lunch, but I don't think it was either of these two. Our guide in Beijing told us that they have a saying about the Cantonese people (the area around Guangzhou) - the eat everything with wings except airplanes, and everything with legs except the table. After looking at some of the items on the menu for lunch, I believe it! First time I've ever seen a seahorse and a chicken's head on the same plate at one time - and that was one of the specials.

I think this was a ram in the garden, but was not real sure. (And no, our guide did not tell us what it was while I was not paying attention.)

This was one of two pheasants when we first walked in. The entire park was decorated in sunflowers right now - must have known we were coming.

I was going to be really upset if we went all the way to China and did not get to see any pandas. Mission accomplished.

A mother penguin sending her baby off to Sunflower School.

Here is our travel group. On our right is Todd and Wendi Larson and their new daughter Alanna. Todd is an orthopedist so he was giving Tonya some information over lunch about her knee troubles. I offered him any bankruptcy advice he wanted while on the trip. Man, I hope these people get my sense of humor. On our left is James Tjoa and Jeanne Ryan, along with their 5 year old son Ryan, their new baby Lilia and Jeanne's brother David.

Some of the local giants' children playing in the park near a huge pagoda. Not sure what province they are from, but they sure grow them big there.

Here is a view overlooking the park. In the back is a huge working clock made up to look like a sunflower.

The girls are sleeping right now, and later we are going to eat at Lucy's (again) with Carol who works for the adoption agency out of Washington. Carol came along on the trip just to check stuff out and get a firsthand feel for how the process goes in China, which is a great idea. Tomorrow we go for Natalee's medical exam, which I'm sure will be just as thorough as the one Maks got when we adopted him - it took longer to get him undressed than it did for the exam. This exam is required to obtain the US entry visa for Natalee, so it will be nice to have one more step accomplished. Everything is going just great here, but we are really missing being home.

No comments: